The Kissing Hand Craft we are sharing today is a great book extension activity to make after reading the book The Kissing Hand and discussing how the children relate to Chester.
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn is a perfect back to school book for Kindergarten and First Grade. It’s a (affiliate) story about a raccoon named Chester who is worried about starting school.
How to Make The Kissing Hand Craft
We are sharing how we created our raccoon craft with newspaper because we love creating with newspaper but you could easily make it with gray cardstock as well.
Supplies needed to make your Raccoon Craft:
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- raccoon craft template (optional) <—- Purchase in our shop
- newspaper (or gray cardstock)
- black cardstock
- blue cardstock
- 1-inch black pom
- googly eyes (We received ours from our friends at Craftprojectideas.com. All opinions expressed are my own. You can find them at your local Walmart on the craft aisle.)
NOTE: If you are in the EU, please visit our TpT Store to purchase any of our templates.
The Kissing Hand Craft Instructions:
1. Begin by cutting your raccoon pieces out of your newspaper. You’ll need a triangular raccoon face, a half circle body shape, a tail and two triangle ears. You can also purchase the raccoon pattern in my shop for each prep!
2. From your black cardstock cut out a strip for an eye patch, two small triangles for the inside of the ears and three tail stripes.
3. Glue your black pieces onto the coordinating newspaper pieces.
4. Lay your blue cardstock out horizontal and glue your tail onto the right side of your paper. Glue the raccoon body overlapping the tail a bit and ending at the left side of your paper.
5. Glue the triangle ears on the back of the racoon face and then glue the face in the middle of the raccoon body.
6. Finish your The Kissing Hand Craft by gluing on your googly eyes and black pom.
Looking for more fun back to school crafts?