Kids will love adding this red, white and blue patriotic windsock craft to your Fourth of July celebrations this year!
This simple Fourth of July craft is easy for preschoolers and kids of all ages to create and it makes a great patriotic decoration to display at home or inside the classroom.
When my daughter was in preschool she loved using all of my paper punches to cut out different shapes for crafting. Not only did she enjoy the activity, but it was also great for strengthening and working all the fine motor muscles in her fingers and hands.
Cutting out all of the white stars for this patriotic windsock makes this windsock craft a great fine motor activity for young kids!
How to Make a Patriotic Windsock Craft
These gorgeous windsocks will look stunning hung under a covered front porch to blow around in the summer breeze, or hung anywhere inside the home as a Fourth of July decoration.
Read our easy instructions below for how to make your own patriotic windsocks. Make sure to watch our tutorial video inside this post too before you get started.
Supplies needed to create your windsock
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- dark blue cardstock
- white cardstock
- red cardstock
- red and white crepe paper
- star paper punch
- glue stick
Instructions for making a Fourth of July Windsock Craft
1. Cut out several stars from white cardstock paper with your star paper punch. We used 9 stars for our patriotic windsock but dependent on the size of your stars, you can use as many or as little as you would like.
2. Use a glue stick to glue each of your white stars on a dark blue sheet of cardstock paper. You can align them in rows evenly, or spread them around your paper in any way you fancy.
See Also: Easy Fish Windsocks
3. Cut out three 18-inch sections of red crepe paper and three 18-inch sections of white crepe paper. Turn your dark blue cardstock so the white stars are face down. Glue the red and white crepe paper on the bottom one-third of the blue cardstock in a red, white, red, white pattern.
4. Bend your fourth of July windsock into a circle, connecting the ends together. Place two staples at the top and bottom of the windsock to join the ends together.
5. Cut a red paper strip handle that is 1-inch by 8 1/2-inches. Add a generous amount of extra strength glue stick on each end of the paper strip and attach it inside the top of the windsock for a handle.
Related: Mixed Media Fireworks Craft
Once the glue is finished drying on your windsock, hang it up from the ceiling or a covered porch and watch it spin around in the breeze for Fourth of July.
How does your family celebrate the Fourth of July? Check out more of our fun and easy patriotic crafts and activities below.
More Patriotic Crafts for Kids
Making these DIY patriotic bubble wands is another fun fine motor activity for kids. Kids are going to love using them to blow bubbles as part of your July 4th celebrations. We shared more ways to make simple shape bubble wands over at RedTedArt.com.
Cut up sections of red, white and blue paper straws and let kids create a fun custom patriotic necklace to wear to the parade!
Bring the fun of fireworks indoors by making this awesome 3D fireworks craft. This is another fun patriotic craft for kids to display at home.
Looking for more summer fun? Check out our list of over 100 fun and easy summer crafts for kids.