Do you and your kids love to sit and observe insects outside during the summer? We have some plants that attract bees by the hundreds and we love to sit out in the evening a short distance away and watch them at work.
Another one of my favorites to observe is dragonflies. They are absolutely gorgeous don’t you think?
If you are big fans of them like me you are going to love this sparkly clothespin dragonfly craft. It makes a fabulous insect craft for kids and summer kids craft.
How to Make a Sparkly Clothespin Dragonfly Craft
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
Supplies Needed to Make this Sparkly Dragonfly Clothespin Craft
- wooden clothespins
- turquoise or red paint
- sponge brush
- glitter shakers (We received our Glitter Shakers from our friends at Craftprojectideas.com. All opinions expressed are my own. You can find them at your local Walmart on the craft supplies aisle.)
- Elmer’s School Glue or Modge Podge
- Glittery Tulle (We brought our roll at Michael’s for a few dollars.)
- small black pony beads
- hot glue gun
Instructions for this Sparkly Clothespin Dragonfly Craft
1. Begin by painting your wooden clothespins with your turquoise or red paint. Set them aside to dry. When the paint is dry, use a sponge brush to paint the top of the clothespin with either Elmer’s School Glue or Modge Podge. Then shake glitter on top of the glue. Let the glue dry completely.
NOTE: I know some are not big fans of loose glitter. If this is the case, Glitter Glue is an awesome alternative!
2. Heat up your hot glue gun. Glue your two small black pony beads onto the sides of the clothespin for dragonfly eyes.
3. Cut a piece of your glitter tulle off of the role about 6 1/2-inches long. Fold the tulle in half and then in half again. Scrunch the middle of the tulle piece together a bit. Open the clothespin, place some hot glue on the inside, place the tulle on it and then close the clothespin onto the tulle.
4. Use scissors to cut a round shape around the bottom of the wings so they look more like the shape of dragonfly wings.
Your sparkly clothespin dragonfly craft is finished!
You can turn this darling clothespin dragonfly craft into fridge magnets by gluing magnets onto the back of the clothespins. Now you can display kids’ artwork, your to-do list, or important papers in style on your fridge.