I couldn’t be more excited about sharing this adorable paper bowl scarecrow craft with you today because I love everything about the fall season! Apples and pumpkins and Halloween and scarecrows… Fall time is the best!
If you are looking for a fabulous fall craft to make at home or in the classroom this cute scarecrow kids craft is perfect. These darling little guys would be perfect hung up on a harvest themed bulletin board with the saying “1st Grade is Pick of the Crop” or “Happy Fall Ya’ll!”.
Make sure to check out our video tutorial and more fall themed activities for kids at the bottom of this post.
[This craft was originally posted on August 17, 2017.]
I’ve seen scarecrow crafts made from a huge variety of crafting materials like a toilet paper roll, crafts sticks, a torn paper scarecrow, coffee can scarecrow and even a flower pot scarecrow. Most of them aren’t exactly kid-friendly to make so after putting my creative thinking brain cap on, I came up with this fabulous idea for using a paper bowl to make this super cute scarecrow craft.
It’s perfect for a fall themed preschool craft. Since we have an easy printable craft template for you to use, kids of all ages are going to love making it!
How to Make a Paper Bowl Scarecrow Craft
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
Supplies needed for making your Scarecrow:
- Scarecrow Craft Pattern <—–GET THE SCARECROW PATTERN HERE.
- paper bowls (We used 20 oz size from Target.)
- tan paint
- black buttons
- raffia (You can also use yellow construction paper strips.)
- yellow tissue paper
- orange, pink and brown cardstock or construction paper
- black and brown marker
- Tacky Glue
Instructions for making a Paper Bowl Scarecrow:
1. Begin by painting the bottom of your paper bowl with your tan paint. Set it aside to dry completely.
Note: We love the 3D effect achieved by using a paper bowl for this craft but if you don’t have any you could easily use a paper plate for the scarecrow face.
Related: 125+ Fall Crafts for Kids
2. Print out the scarecrow craft pattern and use it to cut out a brown scarecrow hat, an orange scarecrow nose and print scarecrow cheeks.
3. Cut off several sections of raffia about 12-inches long. Add tacky glue to the top of the paper bowl and add your raffia to it. You will need to hold down the raffia for a minute or two to help it hold securely. You could also use yellow construction paper strips as an alternative to raffia.
4. Use a stapler to staple the brown scarecrow hat to the top lip of the paper plate.
5. Glue black button eyes onto your scarecrow craft. Then glue on your scarecrow nose and cheeks.
After making our scarecrows, I thought about how you could use a candy corn for a nose if you wanted to add more a 3D effect to your craft.
Related: Gorgeous Black Glue Fall Art Projects
6. Layer three yellow tissue paper squares together and scrunch them up together to make a yellow flower. Glue it onto your scarecrow hat.
7. Finish your paper bowl scarecrow craft by using your black maker to draw a mouth with stitches on your scarecrow and add some markings to the scarecrow hat with your brown marker.
Your paper bowl scarecrow craft is finished!
The finished fall craft makes me think about the Wizard of Oz.
If you’re looking for more fun fall and harvest crafts to go along with our darling scarecrow craft you’ll love our paper bag crow puppets. Our puzzle piece fall tree craft is another one of our favorites for fall.
Video Tutorial: How to Make a Paper Bowl Scarecrow
Watch the video below for a step by step guide on how to make this fun scarecrow craft with our handy template we shared above.
Find more super cute fall craft ideas for kids by browsing the categories at the top menu bar of our website.
More Fall Themed Activities for Kids:
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
Scarecrow Craft // I Heart Crafty Things
Fall Initial Sound Match-Up Free Printable // A Dab of Glue Will Do
Sight Word Fall Dash // Playdough to Plato
Fall Letter Tracing Printables // The Letters of Literacy
Apple Word Building // Recipe for Teaching
Scarecrow Busy Box // Teach Me Mommy
Fall Tree Number Sense Activity // Mom Inspired Life
Pumpkin CVC Game // Pages of Grace
Fall Apple Picking Math with Free Printables // Homebound but Hopeful
Fall Nature Scavenger Hunt // Science Kiddo
24 Free Fall Puzzles // Liz’s Early Learning Spot
Fall Subitizing Math Center // The Kindergarten Connection
Rhyming Acorns Fall Literacy Activity // Mrs. Jones’ Creation Station
Fall Number Activities (0 to 10) // Fairy Poppins
Free Fall Printables // Stay at Home Educator
Fall Parts of Speech Sort // Sara J Creations
Fall Leaves Number Match // Schooling a Monkey
(Not Shown) Preschool Scarecrow Counting Activity // M is for Monster