Looking for a fun art project to make with children as we usher in the fall season? This black glue pumpkin art project is a fun way to celebrate the fall season with kids at home or at school. Go for a walk in the cool fall air to enjoy the beautifully colored fall leaves or visit a local pumpkin patch and then enjoy creating this gorgeous pumpkin art project.
How to make a Black Glue Pumpkin Art Project
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- Elmer’s School Glue
- black acrylic paint
- skewer (or something for stirring)
- mixed media or watercolor paper
- watercolors (We love liquid watercolors!)
- cup of water for painting
1. Start by mixing together your black glue. To do this, use a bottle of Elmer’s School Glue that is about 75% full. Open the lid and squeeze in a generous amount of black acrylic paint. Put the lid back onto the school glue and then shake, shake, shake the bottle of glue for several minutes to incorporate as much of the black paint as possible.
2. Then remove the glue lid and give the mixture a stir using your skewer or stick. The end of a paintbrush works well for mixing too.
3. Now draw a pumpkin on your mixed media paper with pencil. You can also get our pumpkin template in our Teacher Pay Teachers store. (We appreciate the support!)
4. Before you begin tracing the pumpkin with your black glue, test out the glue first on a napkin or separate piece of paper. Create some lines to experiment with the flow and spread of glue.
5. Once you’re happy with the way the glue flows, use a steady hand to trace the lines of your pumpkin with your black glue. Don’t worry if the lines are not perfect or the glue pools a little, as this adds to the overall affect of the piece.
6. Leave the black glue to dry overnight. This step is important because if you paint your picture prior to the black glue drying your watercolors will mix with the black paint.
7. Once the black glue is completely dry, paint your picture with your watercolors.
Your Black Glue Pumpkin Art Project is finished!
For a fun variation of this black glue pumpkin art project, try drawing several pumpkins on your paper to make a pumpkin patch. Or make your pumpkin into a jack-o-lantern by drawing on a spooky face.
More fun pumpkin art projects:
Kids will have a blast designing and creating their own pumpkin patch with this crayon rubbing pumpkins craft.
Use this pumpkin craft as a fun way to learn about the life cycle of a pumpkin.
Knuckle painted prints are a perfect way to create gorgeous pumpkin patch art.