I’ve had a crush on a cute “You are my Sunshine” Mother’s Day Card over at Crafty Morning with a darling sun made out of noodles. My daughter saw it when it came through my feed on Pinterest the other day and asked if she could make me a Sunshine card. It made my heart melt.
We put our own spin on the sunshine card by using a cupcake liner for the sun. It makes it super simple for even toddlers to make, and it’s sure to brighten any Mom or Grandma’s day!
[We originally posted this Mother’s Day craft post on April 10, 2015. We have updated the tutorial with more details, created a video tutorial and added new photos to match our branding.]
This adorable sunshine card can be customized for anyone and for any time of the year too, like for Father’s Day. Simply leave off the M letter on each side of the sun and you have a card you can give to anyone you love.
You are My Sunshine Mother’s Day Card
We created a card template for you to download and print out which makes creating this card even more easy for kids to make. The printable includes the message “You are my Sunshine” with options for a vertical or horizontal card.
Gather your supplies and get ready for little ones to have a blast making this simple Mother’s Day card. Read our step by step tutorial below and catch our video tutorial inside this post before you get started.
Supplies needed to make this easy Mother’s Day Card
- sunshine card template <—– Get the Card Template Here
- light blue cardstock paper
- yellow cupcake liner
- letter stickers (optional)
- googly eyes
- glue stick
Instructions for making the You Are My Sunshine Card
1. Print out the Mother’s Day card template on a sheet of light blue cardstock paper. We have three different variations for you to choose from. Two with the message on the front of the card in horizontal and vertical, and one with the message printed on the inside of the card.
2. Fold your light blue cardstock in half to create your folded card.
3. Flatten out your yellow cupcake liner. Add glue on the back of it and glue in the center of the front of your Mother’s Day card.
4. Glue your googly eyes onto the cupcake liner. Then draw a smiley face on your sun with a red crayon.
5. Use an orange crayon to draw lines around the ridged edge of the cupcake liner for sun rays.
6. Take two “M” letter stickers and place one on each side of the cupcake liner. The sun acts as the O for MOM. This step is optional. If you don’t have letter stickers, simply write an M on each side of the sun with a crayon.
You can also leave the letters off entirely if you are making the card for grandma, or another loved one.
7. Open up your sunshine Mother’s Day card and write a personal message on the inside. Now your card is ready to give to Mom, grandma or a loved one for Mother’s Day.
More Mother’s Day Cards for Kids to Make
This Kid-Made Mother’s Day Flower Card is another fun way to use extra cupcake liners to make a homemade card.
These cute Mother’s Day Birdhouse cards are another easy card that kids to make. We have options to customize the card for any loved one too.
Looking for more fun and easy Mother’s Day card ideas? Check out our amazing list of more than 25 Mother’s Day Crafts for Kids.