We’ve been having fun with yarn wrapped trees this year and we couldn’t stop short of making a pretty one for the fall season.
This yarn wrapped fall tree craft is not only gorgeous but it is also awesome for toddlers and preschoolers for working on strengthening fine motor muscles. You could also prep the activity beforehand and have it ready as an afternoon busy bag activity.
[This craft was originally published on August 25, 2016. It has been updated to include a craft template, updated tutorial text, photos and a video tutorial.]
How to Make a Yarn Wrapped Fall Tree Craft
Read our easy instructions below for how to make this fall tree craft with your kids. We also have a how-to video inside this post you can watch before getting started.
Supplies Needed for this preschool fine motor activity
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- tree craft template <—– Get the Template Here
- brown yarn
- multi-colored yarn (We used a Caron Simply Soft yarn found at Walmart. The one linked is not the same colors we used but wanted you to see what the label looks like.)
Directions for this Yarn Wrapped Fall Tree Craft
1. Download and print out our tree template. Trace the treetop and trunk piece from the template onto cardboard with a pencil. Then cut them out.
2. Go along the tree top shape with your scissors and cut small slits around the scallop shapes of the cardboard to create additional places to help hold the yarn in place when wrapping.
Related: Yarn Wrapped Apple Tree Craft
3. Cut off a long strand of your multi-colored fall yarn. Tape one end of it on the back of the tree top. Now it’s ready for the wrapping. Your little one can have fun wrapping the yarn around the tree top in any way they want. When they reach the end, tape it onto the back of the tree. We used duct tape for an extra secure hold.
4. Cut off a long strand of your brown yarn and tape one end of it onto the back of the tree trunk. Now your little one can wrap it around the tree trunk. When they reach the end of the yarn, tape it onto the back of the tree trunk.
5. Finish your yarn wrapped autumn tree by using a hot glue gun to glue the tree top onto the tree trunk to make your tree. Adult supervision is always required when using a hot glue gun. You could also tape the two pieces together with sturdy tape like duct tape.
Related: Yarn Wrapped Mummy Craft