Earlier this spring we made an awesome yarn wrapped spring tree. It was one of our favorites from spring time so we visited it again but this time made a yarn wrapped apple tree craft.
The yarn wrapping is perfect for working fine motor muscles for toddlers and preschoolers. It is also a perfect craft for an apple theme for preschool and works great for a fall kids craft.
[This craft was originally published on August 19, 2016. It has been updated to include a craft template, updated tutorial text, photos and a video tutorial.]
How to Make a Yarn Wrapped Apple Tree Craft
Read our easy instructions below for how to make this fun apple tree craft with your kids. We also have a how-to video inside this post you can watch before getting started.
Supplies Needed to Make a Yarn Wrapped Apple Tree
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- tree craft template <—– Get theTemplate Here
- green and brown yarn
- red poms
- tacky glue
Directions for Making a Yarn Wrapped Apple Tree Craft
1. Download and print out our tree template. Trace the treetop and trunk piece from the template onto cardboard with a pencil. Then cut them out.
2. Go along the tree top shape with your scissors and cut small slits around the scallop shapes of the cardboard to create additional places to help hold the yarn in place when wrapping.
3. Cut off a long strand of your green yarn and your brown yarn. Tape one end of the green yarn on the back of the tree top and tape one end of the brown yarn onto the back of the tree trunk.
4. Now your child can have fun wrapping the green yarn all around the apple tree top and the brown yarn all over the tree trunk. When they reach the end of the string, tape the end onto the back of the tree top and trunk.
Related: Yarn Wrapped Spring Tree Craft
5. Glue small red craft pom poms as apples all over the tree top. We used glue dots to adhere them to the tree. You could also use tacky glue or a hot glue gun with adult help and supervision.
6. Finish your yarn wrapped apple tree by using a hot glue gun to glue the tree top onto the tree trunk to make your tree. Adult supervision is always required when using a hot glue gun. You could also tape the two pieces together with sturdy tape like duct tape.
See Also: Yarn Wrapped Sheep Craft for Kids
Check out our complete collection of yarn wrapped four season tree crafts!
Looking for some fun books to go along with apple tree craft?
Try one of these fun apple themed children’s books:
– Our Apple Tree by Gorel Kristina Naslund
– Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins
– Curious George Apple Harvest by H. A. Rey
– Little Apple by Brigitte Weninger and Anne Moller
– Red are the Apples by Wade Zahares
– Apples by Gail Gibbons