Earlier this spring we made an awesome yarn wrapped spring tree. It was one of our favorites from spring time so we visited it again but this time made a yarn wrapped apple tree craft.
The yarn wrapping is perfect for working fine motor muscles for toddlers and preschoolers. It is also a perfect craft for an apple theme for preschool and works great for a fall kids craft.
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
How to Make a Yarn Wrapped Apple Tree Craft
Supplies Needed to Make a Yarn Wrapped Apple Tree
Directions for Making a Yarn Wrapped Apple Tree Craft
1. Start by cutting out an apple tree trunk and an apple tree top out of our cardboard. Thick cardboard works best to hold the yarn wrapping well.
2. Cut off a long strand of your green yarn and your brown yarn. I am in love with this multi-colored green yarn. It gives the tree top amazing color and dimension. Tape one end of the green yarn on the back of the tree top and tape one end of the brown yarn onto the back of the tree trunk.
3. Now your child can have fun wrapping the green yarn all around the apple tree top and the brown yarn all over the tree trunk. When they reach the end of the string, tape the end onto the back of the tree top and trunk. Now tape the apple tree trunk onto the back of the apple tree top.
4. Finish your yarn wrapped apple tree craft by gluing red poms as apples all over the tree top. I recommend using tacky glue for a secure holding of the apples.
Looking for some fun books to go along with apple tree craft? Try one of these:
– Our Apple Tree by Gorel Kristina Naslund
– Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins
– Curious George Apple Harvest by H. A. Rey
– Little Apple by Brigitte Weninger and Anne Moller
– Red are the Apples by Wade Zahares
– Apples by Gail Gibbons