These cute polar bear puppets are a great winter kids craft and they are perfect combined with a favorite children’s book about polar bears.
When the weather gets cold and snowy my daughter always gets out some of her favorite books about polar bear’s at bedtime. She has a favorite called Polar Babies (affiliate) and reading it always gets us in the mood for making something crafty. These adorable polar bear finger puppets make such a fun make and play craft for preschoolers.
[This polar bear craft was originally published on December 11, 2015. It has been republished and updated to include a new polar bear finger puppets template, how-to video, an updated tutorial and photos.]
How to Make Polar Bear Puppets
Read our easy step by step tutorial below for how to create your own polar bear puppet craft. Make sure to watch our how-to video tutorial inside this post before get started too.
Supplies needed for these polar bear finger puppets:
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- polar bear puppets template <—– Get the craft printable here
- heavy weight white cardstock paper
- 3/4-inch circle punch
- googly eyes
- small black pom pom
- black marker
- glue stick
Instructions for making this polar bear craft:
1. Download and print out the polar bear puppet template on white cardstock paper. Cut out the polar bear body, head and ears from the template.
Pro Tip: I highly recommend using heavy weight cardstock when creating your polar bears as this helps give some strength and durability to the puppets.
2. Use your 3/4-inch circle punch to cut out the two circles on the polar bear body. These are the finger holes for your puppet.
3. Glue the polar bear head at the top of the polar bear body with a glue stick. Then glue each of the ears onto your polar bear.
Related: Giraffe Finger Puppet Craft
4. Add a generous amount of glue on the back of your small black pom pom. Then glue the pom pom nose onto the polar bear puppet.
5. Finish your finger puppets by gluing on your googly eyes and then using a black marker to draw a mouth on your polar bear.
Time to play with your polar bear puppets
Your cute little guy is now ready for play! To play with your cute polar bears, put two of your fingers into the holes at the bottom of the puppet to create the two front polar bear legs. Now move your fingers around and run your polar bear to and fro.
We found it was fun to make a pile of white pom-poms to look like big snow balls and then we let our polar bears have fun knocking it down.
Try coupling this cute polar bear puppet craft with a fun polar bear children’s book. Here are some of our favorites:
More fun and easy winter kids crafts
Want more winter animal puppet fun? Make an adorable reindeer finger puppet to go with your polar bears.
Preschoolers will love making these winter windsocks and watching them sway in the breeze. Learn how to make a penguin, snowman and polar bear.
These winter gnome finger puppets are super adorable and oh so fun! Make them for winter or any time fo the year with our free template.
Check out this amazing list of over 20 fun and easy winter animal crafts for kids!