Penguins are adorable aren’t they?! Every winter I get giddy about creating a new penguin craft and this year I am excited to share this plastic spoon penguin craft with you.
It’s a little unconventional crafting with plastic spoons, I know, but they are simply perfect for making these cute penguin puppets.
Make sure to check out more kid crafts made from spoons at the bottom of this post.
How to Make a Plastic Spoon Penguin Craft
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
Supplies Needed to Make this Penguin Plastic Spoon Craft
Instructions for Making this Plastic Spoon Penguin Craft
1. Start by cutting an egg shape out of your black felt for your penguin body. I ended up cutting one out of white cardstock first to test out the size and shape with my spoon. Then I was able to use it as a template to make as many as I wanted out of felt.
2. You also need to cut out penguin flippers from your black felt and a beak and feet from your orange felt. For the beak I cut out a triangle and for the feet I cut out a heart shape. Easy, peasy.
3. Fold your black penguin body in half (the egg shape) and cut a small slit near the bottom of the fold. This is where the plastic spoon will slide into the body.
4. Heat up your hot glue gun. Glue your heart shaped feet onto the back of your black penguin body.
5. Slide your plastic spoon down into the slit on the body with the bottom of the spoon facing forward. The bump out of the plastic spoon makes a nice penguin belly. Add hot glue onto the front of the spoon and glue down the body onto it. See pictures above.
6. Finish your adorable plastic spoon penguin craft by gluing on your flippers, beak and googly eyes.
Did I mention how fun these little penguins are to play with? They are small and cute and perfect for kids to use them as props to reenact a favorite penguin book like Tacky Penguin by Helen Lester or 365 Penguins by Harry N. Abrams. You can also use them in a winter wonderland small world play activity.
Check out these other spoon crafts from the kids craft stars!
Plastic Spoon New Year Crowns | Pink Stripey Socks
Spoon Mouse Reading Pointer Craft | Artsy Momma
Wooden Spoon Eskimo Puppets | Artsy Craftsy Mom
Wooden Spoon Toy Soldiers – GluedToMyCrafts
Wooden Spoon Pig Craft | Easy Peasy and Fun