If you’re planning on learning about owls this winter, you will love this simple and fun paper bag snowy owl craft.
This snowy owl craft is a perfect compliment to learning about the majestic white owl. Here’s a fun fact my daughter and I learned about snowy owls this week: As male snowy owls get older, they get whiter but females never become completely white. They always remain brownish with darker markings.
[This snowy owl craft was originally published on November 7, 2016. It has been republished and updated to include a new how-to video, an updated tutorial and additional photos.]
How to Make a Paper Bag Snowy Owl Craft
Read our easy step-by-step tutorial below for how to make this easy snowy owl craft with your kids. Make sure to watch our video tutorial inside this post before get started too.
Supplies Needed to Make this Snowy Owl Craft
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
Directions for Making this Owl Paper Bag Craft
1. Start by cutting off about 2-3 inches from the top of your white paper bag. Cut several strips from your newspaper, crinkle them up and stuff your paper bag about 1-inch down from the top.
2. Staple the top of the paper bag shut. Then fold the top down and staple it down to make the top of the paper bag flat. This will be the bottom of your owl.
Related: Paper Bag Snowman Craft
3. (Optional) Pinch the top corners of the bag up and add a staple to hold it in place and to make owl ears.
4. Cut out two 1-inch yellow circles for eyes and a black beak from cardstock. Use your black marker to draw pupils inside the yellow eyes.
5. Using an extra strength glue stick, glue the yellow eyes and black beak onto the stuffed paper bag.
6. Draw black feather markings along the front of the paper bag, under the eyes and beak of the owl.
7. Cut out a circle from your extra newspaper clippings. Cut the circle in half to create two owl wings. Then using your black marker, draw a few feather markings on each newspaper wing.
8. Finish your snowy owl craft by gluing the two newspaper wings on the front of the paper bag.
Looking for some fun books to go along with this snowy owl craft? Here are some of our favorite snowy owl themed children’s books:
More Easy Winter Animal Crafts for Preschoolers
The arctic fox is another fun arctic animal to learn about in the winter. Here’s a simple way to make a paper plate arctic fox craft.
Get ready for loads of fun making and playing with these cute polar bear finger puppets. Our free template makes them super easy to create.
Another favorite arctic animal to learn about in the winter season is the walrus. Here’s a fun way to create a walrus craft out of paper.
Check out this awesome list of over 20 fun winter animal crafts for kids!