The creative preschool theme this week is all about birds and we decided to focus on our love of ducks in spring time by making these super cute duck finger puppets. Make sure to check out more bird-themed activities near the end of this post.
Do you know how much I adore birds and bird crafts? They are pretty much my favorite! One activity we look forward to every spring is visiting local ponds and feeding the ducks. We get especially giddy when we see little ducklings because they are so adorable!
HOW TO MAKE DUCK FINGER PUPPETS
These cute duck finger puppets are super easy for preschoolers and kids of all ages to make, and they make a fantastic spring craft for kids.
Grab your supplies, read our easy instructions below and kids will be making and playing with their own colorful ducks in no time at all.
Supplies needed to make these duck finger puppets:
This post contains affiliate link to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- orange, yellow, green and brown cardstock paper
- 3/4-inch circle hole punch
- green and yellow mini cupcake liners
- googly eyes
Instructions for creating this fun and easy duck craft
1. Start by cutting out two circles for your duck finger puppets. One that is about 3 1/4-inches for the body and one that is 2 1/2-inches for the head.
If you’re making a traditional yellow duck, use yellow cardstock paper and if you’re making a mallard duck, use green and brown cardstock paper.
See Also: 75+ Amazing Bird Crafts for Preschoolers
2. Punch two 3/4-inch holes in the bottom of the larger circle. These are the holes for your fingers.
3. Glue the smaller circle at the top of the larger circle, making to leave the cut out finger holes at the bottom of the craft.
4. Cut out a beak from orange cardstock or construction paper and glue it onto the duck face. Then glue googly eyes onto your duck.
5. Cut out a yellow or green small cupcake liner in half, and then cut one of the halves in in half again to make two triangle duck wings. Glue one triangle cupcake liner wing on each side of the duck puppet.
Now your duck finger puppet is all ready for play! Simply place two fingers inside the puppet holes and you have an adorable duck puppet. Have him walk around and say “Quack, Quack” or fly high up in the air.
Looking for some fun children’s books to couple with this craft?
We love combining craft time with storybook time. Try combining these duck finger puppets craft with one of these fun duck themed children’s books:
Check out more bird crafts and activities from our creative preschool buddies:
Shredded Paper CD Birds | Artsy Momma
Egg Carton Owls | Pink Stripey Socks
How to Make a Clay Bird | Hand Made Kids Art
Bird Seed Writing Tray | School Time Snippets
You might also enjoy these bird crafts:
- Paper Bag Duck Craft
- Cupcake Liner Parrot Craft
- Paper Plate Peacock Craft
- Toucan Craft for Kids
- 8 Awesome Owl Crafts