Kids will love getting creative by drawing unique and special designs on their personalized newspaper hot air balloon craft.
Have you ever been up in a hot air balloon? Although I’m not sure I could handle the heights, I’ve always dreamed of how fascinating the experience would be. We have been going crazy lately with watercolor painted newspaper crafts and our latest hot air balloon craft for kids is so cute and perfect for spring or summer.
[This craft post was originally published on April 14, 2016. It has been updated to include a new hot air balloon craft template, updated tutorial and photos and a video.]
How to Make a Newspaper Hot Air Balloon Craft for Kids
Whether you’re looking for a fun preschool craft to add to your weather unit or if you’re looking for some fun, new spring or summer activities for kids, this hot air balloon craft is perfect!
Read our easy how-to instructions below for how to make this fun newspaper craft.
Supplies needed to make a hot air balloon craft:
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- NEW hot air balloon printable template <—– Get the template HERE
- liquid watercolors
- blue and white cardstock paper
- brown paper lunch bag
- Fun Chalk Markers
- brown marker
- pencil for tracing
Instructions for making this painted newspaper craft
1. Start by painting your piece of newspaper with liquid watercolors. You can use one color or use several different colors to get a rainbow look. Let the newspaper dry completely or overnight.
2. Download and print out the hot air balloon template. Cut out the pieces of the template. Using them as a pattern, trace the hot air balloon on your painted newspaper and the basked on brown cardstock paper. Cut out both of the traced pieces.
See Also: Black Glue Kite Art Project for Kids
3. Cut clouds out from a piece of white cardstock or construction paper and glue them onto a sheet of blue cardstock paper. Then glue your hot air balloon at the top of the paper, on top of the clouds.
4. Glue the hot air balloon basket at the bottom of the hot air balloon. Use your brown marker to connect the hot air balloon and basket.
5. Finish your newspaper craft by using your chalk markers to decorate your hot air balloon.
More Fun kids Crafts you might enjoy:
- Cupcake Liner Hot Air Balloon Craft
- Puffy Newspaper Tree Craft for Earth Day
- Colorful Newspaper Owl Craft
- Cupcake Liner Kite Craft
Check out our complete list of amazing newspaper craft ideas for kids!