This butterfly Valentine’s Day mailbox is not only adorable but it’s simple to make. Plus with those big heart doilies and red and pink colors it screams Valentine’s Day! Go grab an empty oatmeal container, some Elmer’s glue and a few other supplies and in no time at all you will have this cute butterfly mailbox ready to take to school for Valentine’s Day!
HOW TO MAKE A BUTTERFLY VALENTINE’S DAY MAILBOX
- oatmeal container
- red and pink cardstock paper (we used 12″ x 12″ size)
- large white heart doilies
- large red heart doilies (I found mine at my local party store)
- pink pipe cleaners
- googly eyes
- Elmer’s X-TREME School Glue Stick
- Elmer’s School Glue
- Elmer’s Glitter Glue (these Glitter Glue Pens are fun too!)
- black marker
- clear tape
1. Start by cutting your red cardstock paper to the length of your oatmeal container. You’ll need two pieces to cover the entire container completely. Apply Elmer’s X-TREME School Glue Stick to the back of your cardstock paper and glue it onto your oatmeal container. Do the same with your second piece, gluing it to the back of the container. We made our second piece smaller so the seam wouldn’t show at the front of the oatmeal container. Place a few pieces of clear tape on the seams.
2. Cut a few strips of pink cardstock paper about 1-inch wide and glue them around the front of your oatmeal container to define the butterfly body.
3. Glue your red heart doily onto your large white heart doily. Fold the bottom half of the heart doilies behind, add some Elmer’s X-TREME School Glue Stick to the folded flap, and glue it onto the side of your oatmeal container.
4. Repeat step 3 for the other side of the container.
5. Fold the top of your pipe cleaners into a heart shape. Add some Elmer’s School Glue to them and press them down inside your oatmeal container at the front. Use a piece of tape to help secure them in place.
6. Glue your googly eyes onto your butterfly and draw a mouth with your black marker.
7. Finish your Butterfly Valentine’s Day Mailbox by decorating the wings with some Elmer’s Glitter Glue.
To put your lid onto your butterfly Valentine’s Day mailbox, simply fold down the antenna and place the lid on the container. Then when it’s time to pass out Valentine’s at school, remove the lid and fold up your cute antenna. Keep your lid close by so you can fold down the antennae and put the lid back on after your party to keep your Valentine’s safe and secure until you get home from school.
Make sure to follow Elmer’s on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more crafty inspiration!
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER TO KEEP UP WITH OUR LATEST CRAFTS AND ACTIVITIES!
You might also enjoy these Valentine Crafts:
- Valentine Owl Paper Bag Puppet
- Love Monster Paper Bag Puppet
- Valentine’s Day Paper Plate Hippopotamus
- Glittery Heart Prints
- Handprint Heart Tree
Follow I Heart Crafty Things on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more crafty fun!