Visiting the zoo is one of my preschooler’s most favorite outings. I adore how she loves to sit and observe all of the animals and asks lots of questions. One of her favorite animals at our local zoo is the giraffe. She is always amazed at their long, black tongues and giggles as she watches them run around and play with each other. The creative preschool theme this week is all about the zoo so to celebrate my daughter’s love of giraffes, we made this adorable giraffe finger puppet craft. They are such a hoot and are so fun for kids to play with! Make sure to check out more zoo themed activities at the bottom of this post.
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
How to Make an Adorable Giraffe Finger Puppet Craft
– yellow and brown cardstock paper
– cream colored cardstock paper (we used a manila folder)
– 3/4-inch circle punch
– brown paint
– small googly eyes
– brown yarn
– hole punch
1. Cut out the following from your yellow cardstock paper: a 2 1/2-inch circle, a 3- 3 1/2 inch circle, a rectangle giraffe neck and ears. You’ll also need to cut out a snout and horns from your cream colored cardstock paper.
2. Punch two 3/4-inch circles in the bottom of your larger circle for your finger puppet holes. Now glue your giraffe neck onto the large circle and the smaller circle on top of the neck for the giraffe head. Next glue on your snout, ears, horns and googly eyes.
3. Punch out two brown holes with your hole punch and glue them onto your snout. Cut off a few small pieces of brown yarn and glue them on top of the giraffe’s head. Use your markers to draw a mouth on your giraffe. My preschooler also colored in the tips of her horns.
4. Pour a small amount of brown paint onto a paper plate. Dip your finger into the paint and use it to make fingerprints all over your giraffe, making the giraffe spots.
Once your paint and glue are finished drying, your giraffe finger puppet craft is all ready for play! Simply place two fingers into the holes at the bottom of your puppet and you can walk your giraffe around and have fun imaginative play with your adorable giraffe puppet.
Looking for some fun books to go along with this craft? Try one of these:
– Greedy Steve by Lisa McNeill
– Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andreae (one of our favorites!)
– Oh Dear, Geoffrey! by Gemma O’Neill
– Gemina the Crooked Neck Giraffe by Karen B. Winnick (Read our review of this book)
Check out more zoo-themed preschool activities from our creative preschool buddies:
Recycled K Cup Lion Craft | Artsy Momma
Who Lives in the Zoo Sorting Tray | A Little Pinch of Perfect
Z is for Zebra Alphabet Craft | School Time Snippets
Zoo Creative Drawing Ideas | Hand Made Kids Art
Design a Zoo with Kids | Pink Stripey Socks
Join us June 3rd for Counting to 100 Preschool Activities!