These last few weeks spring has started to show itself and it has me all giddy inside. All of the bulbs we planted last fall are beginning to poke through the ground and our perennials are beginning to grow. Along with all of the beautiful flowers and plants, I’m also excited to see ladybugs, butterflies and bees make their appearance again. In our anticipation we made this awesome recycled bee craft that is a perfect compliment to learning about insects, Earth Day and it makes a fun spring kids craft. Make sure to check out more insect crafts made from recyclable materials at the end of this post.
How to Make a Recycled Bee Craft
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- cardboard toilet roll
- black and yellow paint
- black pipe cleaners
- googly eyes
- small pointy screw driver (or something to poke holes in your cardboard tube)
More Insect Fun → Shimmery Dragonfly Craft
1. Begin by painting the outside of your cardboard toilet roll yellow. After it is dry, paint a few black stripes around your toilet roll. Set that aside to dry completely.
2. To make your bee body, fold down two sides on the end of the toilet roll, then press the other two sides together. Staple the end shut. (See pictures above for more details.) On the opposite end, follow the same process but add a piece of black pipe cleaner inside the toilet roll before stapling it shut. This is your bee stinger.
3. Use a small pointy screwdriver or something similar to poke three holes on each side of your bee for the legs. Then poke two holes on the top of the bee body near the front of the face. These are for the bee antennae.
4. Cut two black pipe cleaners into quarters so you have 8 pieces. Poke six of them through all the holes on the sides of the toilet roll, leaving a small section out of the roll and bend downward to form bee legs. Then poke two more down inside the holes on the top for antennae.
5. Cut bee wings out of your newspaper. Then finish your awesome recycled bee craft by gluing the newspaper bee wings and the googly eyes on your toilet roll.
Here are some fun books to go along with this recycled bee craft:
Check out these other fun insect crafts made from recyclable materials from our friends:
Cardboard Tube Grasshopper Craft | The Craft Train
Egg Carton Bee Craft | Buggy and Buddy
Butterfly Wall Hanging | Make It and Love It
Recycled CD Ladybug | I Heart Arts N’ Crafts
Recycled Milk Jug Dragonfly | Kids Craft Room
Colorful Caterpillar Suncatcher | Fireflies and Mud Pies