Hedgehogs are one of the most adorable creatures in the universe, don’t you think? If you love them as much as I do, you are going to adore this hedgehog Valentine craft we are sharing with you today.
It is really easy to create and the added touch of the 3D heart with the saying “STUCK on you!” makes it a super sweet Valentine card to give to family or friends.
[This craft project was originally published on January 26, 2019. It has been updated to include a Halloween and Fall hedgehog craft design near the bottom of the post.]
How to Make a Hedgehog Valentine Craft
In this post, learn how to make this adorable hedgehog Valentine craft with our helpful template and step-by-step tutorial. We also have a handy how-to video at the bottom of this post.
Although we focused this craft around Valentine’s Day, this cute paper hedgehog can be made any time of the year. Swap out the heart for a different shape dependent on the holiday or season.
Near the bottom of this post we share a fun way to have your hedgehog holding a 3D pumpkin for the autumn season, or for a Halloween craft.
Supplies need to make a Hedgehog Valentine:
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. I Heart Crafty Things is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
- hedgehog Valentine craft template <—– GET THE TEMPLATE HERE
- brown and cream cardstock
- red or pink cardstock
- black craft pom
- googly eyes
- brown marker
Instructions for making this Hedgehog Craft:
1. Begin by downloading and printing out our hedgehog Valentine craft template. Print out the first page on brown cardstock, the second page on cream cardstock and the third heart page on red or pink cardstock (or the color of your choice).
2. Cut out the different pieces of the hedgehog template on the brown and cream cardstock.
3. Glue the hedgehog body on the inside of the hedgehog body spines (the large, brown oval). Then glue the heart shaped hedgehog face at the top of the hedgehog body.
4. Use your scissors to begin cutting out small triangles around the edge of the hedgehog to create the hedgehog spines. Continue cutting out triangles around the entire perimeter of your hedgehog craft.
5. Cut out the six hearts on the heart page template. Fold five of the six hearts in half, including the heart that says “STUCK on you!”
6. Use your glue stick to add glue to one of the blank folded heart halves. Then glue another blank heart half onto it. Next add glue to one half of the paper heart that says “STUCK on you!” and glue it onto the other hearts. Continue adding glue and adding the two remaining blank paper hearts, creating a 3D heart to attach to your hedgehog Valentine craft.
7. Glue a small black pom at the bottom tip of the heart shaped hedgehog craft. Then glue googly eyes onto your hedgehog.
8. Glue the two oval shaped feet at the bottom of your hedgehog. Then glue the unfolded remaining heart in the middle of your hedgehog. This helps you glue the 3D heart onto your hedgehog.
9. Add glue to the heart in the center of the hedgehog and then line up and glue the 3D heart onto it.
10. Glue the two hedgehog arms on your hedgehog with the arms laying inside the first flap of the 3D heart. This helps it look like the hedgehog is holding onto the 3D heart.
Related: The Cutest Cactus Valentine
11. Use a brown marker to draw toes and fingers on the feet and hands of your hedgehog Valentine Craft.
Your Hedgehog Valentine Craft is complete
Aren’t these sweet little hedgehogs adorable?!
If you are working with younger children, it might be a good idea to omit the 3D heart in the middle of the hedgehog and simply glue a single paper heart in the center for the hedgehog to hold on to. You could also let children write their own message on a blank heart to add to their hedgehog.
Make this Hedgehog Paper Craft in the fall or for Halloween
Our readers have had so much fun creating this hedgehog that they suggested we swap out the heart for different shapes for different holidays and seasons throughout the year.
Creating a 3D pumpkin for the hedgehog to hold is a great way to make this craft for the autumn season or for a Halloween paper craft.
After following the steps in our tutorial above and creating your paper hedgehog with our template, download and use our 3D pumpkin template to make a 3D pumpkin. Then glue the two hedgehog arms so they are laying inside the first flap of the 3D pumpkin shape. Easy, peasy and done!
Get the Template: Click here to download the 3D Pumpkin Template
Video Tutorial: How to Make a Hedgehog Valentine Craft
Watch the video below to be guided through each step of this Hedgehog Valentine Craft.
You can view more easy kids craft tutorials on our Facebook page, or right here on our website.
More Fun Valentine Crafts for Kids
If you love the 3D heart aspect of our hedgehog craft, you’ll also love this 3D Hot Air Balloon Card. We have a template for this craft too making it super easy to create.
This Robot Valentine Craft is one of our favorites! Kids can use their creativity to design a robot around our free robot Valentine card template.
Are you a big fan of llamas? If so, you’ll love this colorful llama Valentine Craft. The cloth that hangs over the llamas doubles as a cute Valentine card telling the recipient they are a “whole llama fun!”