Is your Dad the best in the entire galaxy? If so, this Father’s Day constellation craft is the perfect gift for kids to make for Dad this Father’s Day.
Our free message template that reads “Happy Father’s Day to the BEST DAD in the Galaxy!” makes creating this constellation craft super easy for preschoolers and kids of all ages to make.
The best part of this craft is you can customize it in any way needed for Father’s Day. Since my kids call their Grandpa, “Papa”, we made a constellation craft with him in mind.
Kids can easily customize their craft to create a constellation with any loved one’s name on it.
Father’s Day Constellation Craft
We use a fun technique with white paint and two paintbrushes to create the speckled galaxy background in this art project. Kids will have a blast with it!
The constellation word, written with white crayon and completed with colorful star stickers, is the perfect finishing touch for this easy Father’s craft.
Read our simple step-by-step instructions below for how to make this fun Father’s Day craft. You will also want to make sure you watch our easy video tutorial inside this post before you get started.
Supplies needed to make this easy Father’s Day Craft
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
- Constellation Craft template <—– Get the Free Template Here
- black cardstock
- white acrylic paint
- two paintbrushes
- white paper plate
- white crayon
- star stickers (We received our star stickers from our friends at Orientaltrading.com. All opinions expressed are my own.)
- glue stick
How to Make this Fun Constellation Craft
1. Lay your black cardstock paper on a table with newspaper underneath it or some sort of covered surface to catch any paint splatter.
2. Pour a small amount of white paint on a small paper plate. Dip the end of one of your paintbrushes into the white paint. Hold the end of the paintbrush with one hand and grab your second paintbrush with your second hand. Lightly tap the top of the paintbrush with paint on it with the second paintbrush. Speckles of paint will splatter onto your black paper.
3. Continue tapping the paintbrush to create paint speckles and splatters all over your black cardstock. You may need to dip your paintbrush back into the white paint a few times during this process. When you are satisfied with the design of your white painted speckled galaxy, set your paper aside to allow the paint to dry completely.
Tip: Make sure kids are wearing a paint smock or clothes you are comfortable with them getting paint on, as this paint process can sometimes be messy. If the weather permits, this is a great outdoor activity. We also like to keep baby wipes close by for easy clean up.
4. Download and print out the Father’s Day constellation craft template. Cut out each of the pieces from the template. You don’t have to worry about cutting out the letters perfectly as they are designed just to be a general guide. You can also forego using our letters and let children freehand and draw their own constellation letters on their galaxy.
Related: Easy Newspaper Earth Craft for Kids
5. When your galaxy painted background has finished drying, add glue to the back of the Father’s Day message from the template and glue it at the bottom of your black cardstock.
Note: We created our Father’s Day craft vertically but you can also create it with your paper horizontal, if you choose.
6. Arrange the block letters from the template on your galaxy. Use your a white crayon to trace the outline of each of the letters to spell out DAD or PAPA. After tracing each letter, you can go over your lines again to make them thicker, if needed.
Related: Textured Moon Art Project
7. Turn your letters into a constellation by placing colorful star stickers at the corner of each letter and around each rounded curve of the letters. Use our photos as a guide, or allow children to use their creativity to place the stickers wherever they want.
We originally used our colorful star stickers in this fun rocket ship Valentine Craft for Fun365.com. It’s another fun idea you can use for Father’s Day, and there is a free moon template you can download for the craft too.
Your constellation crafts are all ready for giving to Dad and Papa on Father’s Day.
For added fun, children can write Dad or Papa a special note on a separate piece of paper and then glue it on the back of their craft.
More Father’s Day and Space Crafts for Kids
Whether you are looking for more Father’s Day craft ideas or space themed arts and crafts, we have you covered! Check out more fun ideas linked below:
Our rocket ship Father’s Day craft is another fun space themed gift that Dad and Grandpa will love. The personalized photo inside the rocket will make Dad’s heart melt.
Check out this creative and unique way to turn a few paper lunch sacks into a darling Father’s Day book. Our free template includes questions for kids to answer all about their Dad or Grandpa.
Shaving cream and acrylic paint are used in a fun painting technique to create this stunning Marbled Planets Space Craft that kids are sure to love!
This easy paper space shuttle craft is a fun and simple craft for preschoolers to make during the summer or for a space themed learning unit.
Check out our complete list of fun and easy space crafts for kids!
Looking for more Father’s Day Crafts inspiration. Here is a list of some of our favorite Father’s Day ideas from our website.