So far this spring we’ve had fun creating paper butterflies, bees and ladybugs. Now I am super excited to add this paper dragonfly craft to our growing insect collection. One of my favorite things about dragonflies is their sparkly wings and we’ve included that in our dragonfly design by using colorful glitter glue on the wings. The end result is colorful and oh so fun!
How to Make a Paper Dragonfly Craft
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. I Heart Crafty Things is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
- Paper Dragonfly Craft Template <—-Purchase in our TPT Store.
- light blue cardstock
- green cardstock
- turquoise cardstock
- red cardstock
- white cardstock
- googly eyes
- iridescent glitter glue
RELATED: 3D Paper Butterfly Craft
1. Begin by purchasing and downloading the template over at my TPT store. If you don’t want to purchase the template you can draw and cut out your own dragonfly body and wings. Print out the dragonfly body template on turquoise or red cardstock and the wings template on white cardstock.
2. Cut out the pieces of the template. Bend the wings in half and then set the pieces aside for a moment.
3. Cut long, thin triangle shapes out of your green cardstock to make tall grass. Glue them along the bottom of your light blue cardstock.
4. Add glue to the back of your dragonfly bodies and glue them on your blue cardstock. We arranged them with one flying behind the tall grasses and one flying in front of the grasses.
5. Add glue to the back of the folded dragonfly wings and glue them onto your paper dragonflies.
6. Add googly eyes to each of your paper dragonflies.
7. To add some sparkle to your dragonfly wings, squirt a line of iridescent glitter glue in the center of each wing. Then use a paintbrush to spread the glitter glue around the entire wing.
Your paper dragonfly craft is complete!
When you hang your picture up notice how the front wings pop off the page giving your paper craft a fun 3D effect.
Looking for more insect paper crafts?
These paper bees have the same 3D effect that our paper dragonflies do. The colorful flowers at the bottom of the paper make this a fun spring time craft.