A big thank you to Elmer’s for sponsoring today’s winter art project! One of my favorite things about making arts and crafts with my children is how much they treasure the finished project. My daughter recently asked me if she could make some art pieces to display in her bedroom for winter and her request inspired this beautiful newspaper Birch tree winter art project. It’s super simple for children to create and making it on an art canvas makes it a perfect piece to display in your home or children’s bedroom during the winter months.
Not only is this winter art easy to create, but it makes it so you don’t even have to put on your mittens and jacket to enjoy the beauty of winter. You can look at your pretty art piece on the wall all while getting cozy in a blanket with a cup of warm cocoa. So grab your supplies and get ready to have an afternoon full of fun making this beautiful birch tree winter art project!
HOW TO MAKE NEWSPAPER BIRCH TREE WINTER ART
Supplies you will need:
- art canvas (we used 11″ x 14″ but any size will do)
- Elmer’s X-TREME School Glue
- Elmer’s X-TREME Scool Glue Stick
- Elmer’s Squeeze’n’Brush Painters
- fake snow
- shallow baking dish
- foam brush (optional)
1. Use your Elmer’s Squeeze’n’Brush Painters to paint a winter sky background onto your art canvas and then let it dry completely. You can leave the bottom portion of the canvas unpainted since we are going to add snow to it. In this example I used the colors blue, light blue, purple and pink, but I encourage you to let your child use their creativity and use whatever colors they would like. The Squeeze’n’Brush Painters are amazing because there is a brush built right onto the paint tube so it makes for mess free painting.
2. Cut out long column strips from your newspaper for your birch trees. To make sure you get great hold of your newspaper strips onto your canvas, use an Elmer’s X-TREME School Glue Stick to glue them onto your art canvas. We made a few different sizes so they would look like they were at different distances.
3. Place your art canvas into a shallow baking dish. Add Elmer’s X-TREME School Glue onto the bottom of your art canvas and spread it out with your foam brush. Sprinkle the fake snow onto the canvas covering the glue areas completely and then pat it down with your hand.
4. Add additional dots of glue onto your canvas and sprinkle fake snow onto them so it looks like it’s snowing. Let the glue dry for a few minutes and then lift your canvas up and let any excess snow fall into the baking dish. Discard all of the extra fake snow into the garbage can or recycling bin.
I love all of the fun textures going on in the artwork. Not only does the newspaper and fake snow add great texture but the paint crackled in places on the canvas and I just love the added texture that gives to the artwork.
Once the glue is completely dry on your canvas find a place to display your beautiful artwork it in your home!
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER TO KEEP UP WITH OUR LATEST CRAFTS AND ACTIVITIES!
You might also enjoy these winter crafts and activities:
- Paper Plate Snowman Craft
- Cupcake Liner Penguins
- 20 Arctic and Antarctic Animal Crafts
- Cupcake Liner Snowman Craft
- Paper Plate Arctic Fox Craft